I would like to point out some common mistakes about Sankaradeva legacy in this document. I will keep updating it.
1. There is a common misconception that Narottam was a Naga disciple of Srimanta Sankaradeva. Actually there is no record that Srimanta Sankaradeva had any Naga disciple. Narottam joined the Eka Sarana Nama Dharma order much later, after Srimanta Sankaradeva passed away. His actual name was Lotha Khunbao. He was a Nokte. He took initiation from Sri Ram of Chaliha Bareghar Sattra.
2. There is a common misconception that Bardowa is a Sattra. It is actually a Than and it is managed by two Sattras – Salaguri Sattra and Narowa Sattra.
3. There is a common misconception that Barpeta is a Sattra. It is actually a Than.
4. There is a common misconception that Chandsai installed the first pillar of Bardowa Kirtanghar. Actually Chandsai came into the contact of Srimanta Sankaradeva only after the latter migrated to Patbausi and visited Kochbehar on the call of Naranarayana. So there is no scope at all of Chandsai being present during the construction of Bardowa Kirtanghar, which happened in skeleton form in 1468 and in full institutional form in 1509.
5. There is a common misconception that the north-east pillar of Kirtanghar is called Lai-khuta because Chandsai installed it uttering “La-ilaha illalahu Mohammadur rasulullah.” Actually Chandsai came into the contact of Srimanta Sankaradeva almost a century after the Kirtanghar came into being. The word Lai-khuta is called so as it is the main pillar, Lai meaning ‘main’ in Tai language.
6. There is a common misconception that Mana meri Rama Charanahi Lagoon ……. is the first Bargeet of Srimanta Sankaradeva. Actually this Bargeet was composed at Badarikashram in 1489, whereas Rama meri hridaya pankaje baise …. was composed in 1481 at Rowmari at the outset of 12 year long pilgrimage. So Rama meri hridaya pankaje baise …. is the first Bargeet.
7. There is a common misconception that Srimanta Sankaradeva was asked by Chilarai to prepare Vrindavani cloth. Actually Naranarayana asked Srimanta Sankaradeva to prepare this textile art.
8. There is a common misconception that Srimanta Sankaradeva did not initiate women. Actually Srimanta Sankaradeva initiated several women. Some of them were Khersuti, Kalindi, Barabahi, Chakuli etc.
9. There is a common misconception that Srimanta Sankaradeva died the very next day after Naranarayana sought initiation as Srimanta Sankaradeva did not want to initiate him nor refuge him. Actually Srimanta Sankaradeva flatly refuged initiation to the king as he felt that the king was not fit for that. The saint thereafter became engaged in writing the play Ram-Vijaya, which he himself directed, at the request of Chilarai. Only after that he passed away.